TREMEER: THE STORY OF A HOUSE AND GARDEN
‘Once upon a time’….. in 1998 Edward and Vanessa George having lived in the same house in Dulwich for 29 years, began thinking about the country and the coming retirement of Edward. ‘One less busy weekend we caught a train to Plymouth, hired a car and went to look at a house called Tremeer in St. Tudy in North Cornwall. It was a large house surrounded by what turned out to be a well-known Cornish garden, planted with Rhododendrons, Camellias and Azalias by a General who had lived in the house from 1945. Looking back it was an adventure and a project to put the house right and into good order. We decided to purchase the property. We expected that as newcomers we would remain just that for many years but fortunately, (at least in part because Edward was the Governor of the Bank of England, but not only for that reason), we were welcomed into every aspect of Cornwall life, not least its charitable organisations. But what about the history of Tremeer? Had the house always looked the same as we found it and who were the people and the families who had lived there and in the vicinity since the 16th century? And what was happening in the area around St. Tudy and in other parts of Cornwall during the intervening period…….?’ This short pamphlet here is an attempt to answer some of the questions that such an investigation has thrown up.